Ornamental Aquatic Service Advisor Apprentice (Level 2/Intermediate) – KT&A2425
Vacancy reference: KT&A2425
Stones Aquatics is an independent, family run retail stored based in Minster-on-Sea on the Isle of Sheppey. The store runs out of a family owned and run garden centre and benefits from local and tourism trade.
We supply aquariums, fish stock and maintenance items to hobbyists. This includes pond fish, tropical freshwater fish and marine fish, as well as locally produced lines of fish food and water treatments.
Click here to see the employer’s website.
This is a truly unique and exciting opportunity to play a key role in the success of a new aquatics store that has customers and community at its heart.
In your role you will learn the key basics of providing top quality customer service as you offer advice on a range of fish and products. No prior knowledge is necessary as you will be provided the training on the job, but a general interest in looking after pets would make you a great fit for this role.
You will take part in all day to day activities including the maintenance of aquaria and stock, rotation, advice and sales and generally ensure that the customer has a good experience.
As the company looks to expand there will be plenty of opportunity for you to progress and develop, learning key business skills in the process.
Duties to include:
- Advise customers and new hobbyists on the appropriate choice of stock and after-care for their existing aquarium
- Advise customers on the appropriate purchase of new mechanical or decorative items
- Handle cash and credit card transactions, including refunds
- Provide general care for all livestock whilst it awaits sales to customers
- Cleaning and feeding of livestock and aquaria
- Responding to customer requirements or concerns
- Assist with the creation of online content for social media, and prepping products for online sale
- Assist with pulling and packing online orders
- Completing an additional City & Guilds qualification specific to the role (to be discussed at interview)
£117 per week.
Pay to be reviewed periodically and subject to performance.
30 paid working hours per week.
This is a shift-based role with room for flexibility, but please be aware the role will include working at weekends over peak season, as this is the busiest time for footfall. Shifts to be discussed further at interview.
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge of fish keeping is desirable but not essential as full training will be provided.
- Polite and friendly
- Adaptable to change
- Forward thinking
- Willing to learn
A minimum of grade D / 3 English and Maths GCSE
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Standard – consisting of the Intermediate NVQ Level, Technical Certificate and Functional Skills if appropriate.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards.
As of 1st April 2019, the NMW for Apprentices is £3.90 per hour. This applies to 16 - 18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies.
The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training.
The employer has asked that you do not contact them direct. Doing so could jeopardise your application. You will be responsible for your travel expenses to and from your place of work. Therefore, you must have the means to get to your place of work on a daily basis whilst waiting for your first wages to be paid.KT&A: Kent Training & Apprenticeships are part of Kent County Council and are a leading training organisation with nearly 30 years successful experience. KT&A specialise in high quality work-based training, delivered by qualified staff with personal experience of working in the skill area they teach.