Design and Technology Technician Apprentice (Level 3/Advanced) – KT&A2445
Vacancy reference: KT&A2445
Weald of Kent Grammar School is a selective girls grammar school, based in Tonbridge and Sevenoaks.
Ofsted judges the school to be ‘outstanding’. The school has high standards and ensures that the learning experience for their students moves with the times whilst maintaining the traditions of good manners, discipline and respect for others.
The school has Teaching School and Thinking School status.
Click here to view the employer’s website.
Working as a Technician in the Design & Technology and the Food & Nutrition departments, you will provide support to teachers in both departments, enabling them to make even more effective use of their time, professional knowledge, skills and understanding.
This role contributes to pupils’ learning and will have a significant impact on their achievement, by enabling the delivery of quality lessons within a safe environment.
- To provide practical preparation support within Design and Technology to benefit students learning and teacher efficiency.
- To support students in their work and their production of work on machinery, equipment and in the food room.
- To keep abreast of developments in key areas, to think creatively and constructively to ensure that the job is done in the most effective and time efficient way.
- To review and develop own professional practice so as to further develop the work of the department in the preparation of practical lessons.
The following duties are what would be expected for someone who has been fully trained in the role. You will receive training to enable you to complete the duties as described.
- To effectively support the teaching and learning of all students.
- To work as part of the school team and contribute to plans to ensure the school meets its aims.
- To work within the relevant policies, code of practice and legislation, reporting any concerns to the appropriate person.
- Use good communication skills to be able to inform, persuade, inspire and motivate Students.
- Be familiar with and comply with a full range of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health and safety, security and confidentiality reporting all concerns to the appropriate person to ensure Students’ wellbeing.
- Contribute to the overall work/aims of the School, appreciating and supporting the role of colleagues and other professionals to enable the school to fulfil its development plans etc.
- Undertake training and other learning activities and attend relevant meetings as required to ensure own continuing professional development.
- To prepare materials and resources as requested by subject teachers to enable the delivery of the school curriculum.
- To maintain the Technology rooms and equipment to enable the delivery of the curriculum in clean safe working conditions using the safety/ risk assessment system.
- To support teachers and students in Food and Nutrition and Design and Technology lessons as required.
- To attend staff meetings as directed by the Head of Department.
- Responsibility for setting up and monitoring systems used in the management and control of practical resources, including budgets and food orders.
- To co-ordinate equipment testing for machinery and LEV dust extraction.
- To maintain tools, machines and dust extraction.
- To ensure the technician team keeps up to date with health & safety requirements and developments.
- To update and manage records of Risk Assessments alongside Head of Departments.
- To support student use of CAD and the laser cutter.
£8,140 per annum
(£5 per hour)
37 hours per week
Term Time only (39 weeks)
Monday to Friday
Whilst experience is not a requirement, the following attributes would be advantageous:
- Experience of working with resistant materials.
Skills & Knowledge
- Effective and accurate communication skills – orally and in writing
- Strong ICT skills
- Good numeracy and literacy skills
- Ability to work unsupervised as well as to work effectively as part of a team
- Good understanding of craft and modern materials and their applications.
- Basic knowledge of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety, security, equal opportunities and confidentiality (training will be provided in these areas)
- A commitment to inclusive education
- Have a positive approach with a desire to succeed
- Energy, enthusiasm and perseverance
- Reliability and integrity
- Good interpersonal skills
- Professional appearance and manner
- Capacity to work hard, under pressure, to meet deadlines and manage time effectively
- An excellent record of attendance during the last three years (if applicable)
- Adaptable and amenable with respect to working practices
- Suitable to work with children
- Embraces change optimistically
- Respects the needs of students and adults
- Minimum grade 6 in Maths, English and Design GCSE.
- A Level Design and Technology desirable but not essential.
- NVQ Level 3 in Carpentry desirable but not essential.
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Framework – consisting of the NVQ Level 2 in Business Administration, Technical Certificate and Functional Skills if appropriate.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards
As of 1st April 2019, the NMW for Apprentices is £3.90 per hour. This applies to 16 - 18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies.
The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training.
The employer has asked that you do not contact them direct. Doing so could jeopardise your application. You will be responsible for your travel expenses to and from your place of work. Therefore, you must have the means to get to your place of work on a daily basis whilst waiting for your first wages to be paid.KT&A: Kent Training & Apprenticeships are part of Kent County Council and are a leading training organisation with nearly 30 years successful experience. KT&A specialise in high quality work-based training, delivered by qualified staff with personal experience of working in the skill area they teach.