Art Technician Apprentice (Level 2/Intermediate) – KT&A2078
Vacancy reference: KT&A2078
A large Church of England secondary school with academy status for boys and girls aged 11 to 18 years in Tunbridge Wells
A founding school of the growing multi-academy Tenax Schools Trust.
The school is academically highly successful and sets great store by the development of character and values.
The school expects commitment and high standards both in lessons and beyond lessons, where students benefit from a vast range of wider opportunities, especially in music and sport.
Description of Vacancy
An exciting opportunity for someone with a keen interest in visual arts to support the Heads of Art, Textiles & Digital Media with the effective running of the department.
The position will enable the successful candidate to learn both the technical aspects of the role and also support students achieve their aims.
The role will include but is not limited to the following duties:
- Carry out daily maintenance duties as specified by the Heads of Art, Textiles & Digital Media
- Maintain equipment, materials, facilities and services in the art, textiles and digital media classrooms in good condition
- Manage the storage of materials, equipment and artwork efficiently and in good order
- Prepare specialist materials and equipment for use in lessons
- Document pupils’ work and distribute work back to pupils
- Provide technical assistance to pupils during lessons and private study sessions
- Assist with reprographics and ICT administration
- Provide technical support for developing and printing in the darkroom
- Be responsible for art departmental displays and the preparation, mounting and installation of artwork around the school
- Provide skilled assistance to academic staff in preparation of teaching aids
- Liaise with cleaners and maintenance staff
- Responsible for the ordering of supplies under the guidance of the Heads of Art, Textiles & Digital Media
- Complete documentation
Monday to Friday
37 hours per week
Term Time only
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to build effective working relationships with staff and management at all levels
- A driving licence and the ability to drive a minibus are an advantage (but not essential)
- Basic computer skills in Word, Excel, IMac, Premiere, Final Cut X and Photoshop will be expected (further training will be provided where required)
- Training on the use of equipment and machinery will be provided as necessary
- Textiles specific skills would be advantageous – Sewing maintenance, cutting fabric, storage of sharps etc., knowledge of 2D design and laser cutting, basic resistant materials skills (hand tools), storage of chemicals and dangerous equipment
- A keen interest in art
- A desire to help others succeed
An appreciation of children’s specific needs and a desire to play an active role within the life of the school
GCSE Grade 4 or higher (A* to C) in English and maths or equivalent qualifications in these subjects
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Standard – consisting of the Intermediate NVQ Level, Technical Certificate and Functional Skills if appropriate.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards
As of 1st April 2018, the NMW for Apprentices is £3.70 per hour. This applies to 16 - 18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies.
The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training.
The employer has asked that you do not contact them direct. Doing so could jeopardise your application. You will be responsible for your travel expenses to and from your place of work. Therefore, you must have the means to get to your place of work on a daily basis whilst waiting for your first wages to be paid.KT&A: Kent Training & Apprenticeships are part of Kent County Council and are a leading training organisation with nearly 30 years successful experience. KT&A specialise in high quality work-based training, delivered by qualified staff with personal experience of working in the skill area they teach.
See the location on a map
(Location is approximate)