Apprentice Teaching Assistant (Level 2/Intermediate) – KT&A2485
Vacancy reference: KT&A2485
Phoenix Community Primary School is a one-form entry school situated on the outskirts of Ashford. We benefit from a new building which is well respected and looked after. The school is exceptionally well-resourced and, as such, is able to provide opportunities for children significantly beyond that of the National Curriculum. The school places a high emphasis on the Creative Arts and the school invest heavily in ICT with a set of 32 iPads, which are used on a daily basis.
Click here to see the employer’s website.
To work alongside a class teacher as part of a professional team, supporting teaching and learning for pupils. Providing support with preparation of materials, classroom organisation and guiding small groups.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Assist with the Implementation of planned learning activities/teaching programmes as agreed with the teacher, adjusting activities according to pupils’ responses as appropriate
- Participate in planning and evaluation of learning activities with the teacher, providing feedback to the teacher on pupil progress and behaviour
- Support the teacher in monitoring, assessing and recording pupil progress/activities
- Provide feedback to pupils in relation to attainment and progress under the guidance of the teacher
- Support learning by arranging/providing resources for lessons/activities under the direction of the teacher
- Support pupils in social and emotional well-being, reporting problems to the teacher as appropriate
- Share information about pupils with other staff, parents / carers, internal and external agencies, as appropriate Understand and support independent learning and inclusion of all pupils as required
Teaching Assistants at this level may also undertake some or all of the following:
- Update pupil records
- Assist with break-time supervision including facilitating games and activities
- Assist with escorting pupils on educational visits
- Support pupils in using basic ICT Undertake moving and handling activities as required.
- Attend to pupils’ personal needs including toileting, hygiene, dressing and eating, as well as help with social, welfare and health matters, reporting problems to the teacher as appropriate.
- Physically assist pupils in activities (may involve lifting, where mobility is an issue)
- Work with pupils on therapy or care programmes, designed and supervised by a therapist/teacher
Wage £3.90 per hour
Monday to Friday 8.45am – 3.15pm with 30 mins for lunch Term time only
- Good communication skills both verbally and written
- Ability to demonstrate patience and empathy
- Competent level of ICT
- Ability to work professionally and respect confidentiality
- Able to work on own initiative
- Team player
- Able to develop professional relationships with staff and pupils
A*-D in Maths and English or equivalent
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Standard – consisting of the Intermediate NVQ Level, Technical Certificate and Functional Skills if appropriate.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards.
As of 1st April 2019, the NMW for Apprentices is £3.90 per hour. This applies to 16 - 18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies.
The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training.
The employer has asked that you do not contact them direct. Doing so could jeopardise your application. You will be responsible for your travel expenses to and from your place of work. Therefore, you must have the means to get to your place of work on a daily basis whilst waiting for your first wages to be paid.KT&A: Kent Training & Apprenticeships are part of Kent County Council and are a leading training organisation with nearly 30 years successful experience. KT&A specialise in high quality work-based training, delivered by qualified staff with personal experience of working in the skill area they teach.